4 Signs You Have Outgrown Your BookkeeperNovember 8, 2012
Office Admins . . . Then to NowDecember 4, 2012
When hiring a controller, “you get what you pay for.” Match the experience to the key accountabilities. Yet, be careful not to “over hire” the first time you hire a controller. It’s easy to be enamored with the credentials of a CPA with public accounting experience, but not every business needs these credentials. Assuming you have a closely held business, below are the five (5) most important factors that affect the level of competency needed and thus, the resulting compensation.
- Loan requirements: Would your banker prefer a CPA?
- Complexity of transactions: Product or job costing required?
- Accounting software: QuickBooks vs. enterprise level software
- Financial analysis: Planning/forecasting vs. compilation.
- Management: Will they manage others?